Fixing WiFi on PIPO M9 Pro tablet

Ever since I received my PIPO M9 Pro tablet, I’ve been experiencing WiFi issues. Every 5-10 minutes, the tablet would simply lose its WiFi connection. Usually it took a few minutes before it would reconnect. No need to say this was very frustrating when doing anything that involves the network connection.

I’ve come across various forums (FreakTabArcTablet and Tablette-Chinoise) full of people complaining about the same issues. The problem seems to be caused by bad placement and bad insulation of the internal WiFi antenna.

Various solutions were proposed:

  • Removing the grounding wire that touches the WiFi antenna and its wire
  • Replacing the grounding wire and the WiFi antenna’s wire by (better) shielded wires, using wires from old USB cables (involves soldering)
  • Isolating the WiFi antenna and its wire by using insulating tape

 I’m not very experienced with soldering and I didn’t really like removing ground wires (they’re there for a reason, right?), so I went for the last method. 

I found a very good instruction video from someone who successfully tried this last method:

Pipo M9Pro Wifi Fix

How I managed to fix my sh*tty wifi without desoldering the wires. Please read the instructions on the lower right part of the screen. Make sure the tablet is off. This method has helped a lot of people, hope it helps you as well 🙂 My Pipo was already fixed using this method so it’s not a “from scratch” video.

So I carefully opened my tablet using guitar plectra to put between the screen and the back case. The guy in the video does it with plastic cards, but I couldn’t find anything like that. The WiFi antenna turns out to be the black plastic thing glued to the case at the top right. I carefully unglued it by using a screwdriver and I cutted some pieces of cardboard to put underneath the antenna. I then stabilized these pieces of cardboard with some insulation tape, glued the antenna on it and covered the antenna and its wire with a few more layers of insulating tape.

IMG_20131220_221606  IMG_20131220_221613Messenger_5819911397294821597_13875750058707881

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

After wrapping it all back together, I rebooted the tablet and the WiFi connection now seems to be much more stable. No more disconnects and usually more than 50Mbps where I had like 10Mbps before. I can’t believe these tablets are sold with such a design failure. I guess that’s what you get when buying cheap chinese electronics, right? 😉

3 comments

  • MaDSEGA

    Thank you for posting my video here and I’m glad the tutorial helped you 🙂 It would really mean much to me if you were to post a comment on youtube, so others could see that soldering is not the only fix and this is much safer. Cheers

  • Erik Bosscher

    Hallo robin, kun me laten zien wat je hebt los geputerd en waar het karton tussen geplaats hebt, in Ben been beetje huiverig , maar will graag verbetering van de WiFi van mijn pipo

    • RobinPel

      Hey Erik,
      Je moet de antenne loskrijgen die in de rechterbovenhoek op de behuizing is vastgelijmd. Zoals je op de afbeeldingen kan zien heb ik daarachter karton gelegd en de antenne er opnieuw opgeplakt. Vervolgens goed vastzetten met tape en opnieuw de tablet in elkaar steken.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *